Tuesday, October 12, 2010

The Science of Shopping

1. I feel that the main point of this article was to make people realize how much shopping involves the mental state. When I think of shopping I think of knowing what I have to get before I go to the store, go to the store, grad the item(s), and leave. But apparently it is much more than that. I found it particularly interesting when Gladwell described the set-up of a grocery store. He said the designers put produce on one end of the store, dairy in the middle, and meats on the other side. They do this so buyers can't run it and out quickly when shopping. This forces them to be tempted to buy other products.

2. I personally feel that I am not influenced by a store's design at all. Before I go into a store I know what I am going to buy and that is it. I don't like to waste my time by looking at other items.

3. The first thing I would check for in analyzing a store would be the lighting; does it look inviting, or dark and gloomy. The second would be the workers; are they nice and respectable or mean and grumpy. If they are nice, I would be more prone to buying something because of the respect I got. The third thing would be the placement of the "hot" items; are they at the back of the store or the front. If they are in Zone 4, then I would be forced to look at more items to potentially buy.

No comments:

Post a Comment