Wednesday, September 22, 2010

The Design of Everyday Things: Favorite Section

1. Page 9. "Plates are for pushing. Knobs are for turning. Slots are for inserting things into. Balls are for throwing or bouncing." I liked this passage because I am a very visual learner, and if something is easy enough for me to use without reading an instruction manual, I would be a very happy consumer. Reading long and complicated manuals makes me want to give up and return the product.

2. I believe this book is still making an impact today because although the technology is more complicated and lifestyles are changing by the day, the people's wants are not. It is natural for humans to want things to be as simple as possible; if they are not, it is also natural for people to give up. Therefore, the main points in this book still pertain to people in this day and age.

3. On my checklist, I only need two things. I want the product to be easy to use, and appealing to the eye. If the designer can make the product this way, I'm all in. If not, I won't even deal with the product. One good example of this is again the iPod. It is extremely easy to use and is also high-tech looking.

No comments:

Post a Comment